Public Matters provides a setting for experiential learning in the context of the City of Lowell. We focus on Lowell National Historical Park as we seek to examine, understand, and appreciate the City’s industrial past, the current cultural revitalization, and historic preservation efforts.
Using the City of Lowell’s 2003 Comprehensive Master Plan as an instruction tool, we will explore 10 thematic areas:
- Community Profile – Historic and Contemporary
- Neighborhood Quality of Life
- A Lifetime of Housing Opportunities
- Unique Waterfront Environments
- A Vibrant and Diverse Downtown
- Institutional and Cultural Development
- Economic Growth
Members will observe, define, analyze and practice leadership skills through a variety of tools, methods and activities. The course will encompass demonstration, lecture, video presentation, simulation, cooperative learning, class discussion, observation and analysis of Lowell-based case studies, interviews of community leaders, and field trips.